Based on legendary Kenworth models from the past, the third in the series of special edition Kenworths, the Legend SAR, will be unveiled at the Brisbane Truck Show.
Following the outstanding response to the Legend 950 in 2015 and the Legend 900 in 2017, the timing of the much-anticipated debut of the Legend SAR is aligned with Kenworth celebrating 50 years of manufacturing trucks in Australia.
The 50th Anniversary Edition Legend SAR combines the latest technology for safer, cleaner and more productive operation, with features that embrace Kenworth’s unique heritage.
Modelled on the iconic W900SAR, built and sold in Australia from 1975 until 1985 and the first Kenworth model designed, the Legend SAR is engineered and made in Australia specifically for Australian operating requirements.
With its sloping bonnet and raised cab position allowing for the first use of under cab battery and toolboxes, the W900SAR (SAR standing for ‘Short-bonnet Australian Right-hand drive’) is considered an iconic fusion of the W900AR and S2 models.
Importantly, it could take the high horsepower engines favoured by Australian transport operators and still carry the maximum legal payload within existing length limits and was lighter than the AR and Kenworth’s cab-over model of the day, the K100.
Built to honour the character of the first all-Australian Kenworth truck, the Legend SAR represents the iconic appeal of the much-loved W900SAR.
While more than 45 years have passed since it first went into production and other SAR models have ensued, the allure of the original ‘SAR’ still remains and is reignited with the release of the third in the series of Legends, the Legend SAR.
“The truck not only commemorates 50 years of proudly manufacturing Kenworth trucks in Australia, it symbolises what was a turning point for local design and engineering and the custom-build philosophy that Kenworth is still renowned for today,” said Brad May, PACCAR Australia Director Sales and Marketing.
“In addition to recognising our long heritage in this country, the Legend SAR pays homage to all those that have stood, and stand today, behind the badge of a Kenworth truck. The ones that have helped make Australian-made Kenworths an integral part of the unique Australian landscape.”
Appropriately named ‘Son of Nugget’ as tribute to the iconic W-Series limited edition ‘Gold Nugget’ released in 1984, the Legend SAR will be on display at the Brisbane Truck Show from Thursday 13 May – Sunday 16 May.
The Legend SAR includes a full suite of heritage style limited edition features that celebrate our journey in Australia’s Road Transport Industry.
These features include:
· Flat windscreen B-series cab providing extra headroom and seat travel, delivering greater levels of comfort for the driver than the original SAR.
· Traditional doors and door handles complete with airlift windows.
· 36” and 50” sleeper cabs are available in both an Aero 1 and flat roof design. A dovetail air deflector atop the sleeper is available with the Aero 1.
· Two-piece (split) windscreen with chrome trim, topped off with bullet-style cab marker lights and dual round air horns.
· The hood is adorned with heritage Kenworth and Cummins badges with an anniversary edition red and gold traditional italic Kenworth bug, which proudly sits atop the authentically reproduced and iconic SAR grille.
· Round 4” front turn signals on the crown of the wheel arch reminiscent of the original SARs.
· Side-mounted exhausts include a wraparound cover, just like the old SARs, with exposed chrome elbows and 7” curved pipes to give the truck a commanding presence.
· The interior of the Legend SAR has a premium feel and features diamond pleat trim with ‘Legend SAR 50th Anniversary Edition’ embossed into the rear wall and door trims and a wooden plaque on the glove box lid to identify the unique build number of each truck.
· Stainless scuff plates adorned with the Legend SAR logo on door openings.
· A traditional Kenworth bug and Legend SAR logo embroidered into the leather seats.
· The gear lever of the manual transmission topped with a wooden gear knob featuring the original Eaton Fuller logo and a stainless steel Legend SAR surround fitted around the sock.
· A traditional flat dash layout houses a full suite of handmade heritage style chrome-bezelled and white-faced gauges, featuring the traditional Kenworth bug, toggle switches with backlit graphics and a four-spoke leather steering wheel.
· On the body of the truck, traditional extruded aluminium tank steps run alongside round fuel tanks, stainless rear guards and tail light bars are standard, as are black rubber mudflaps adorned with the traditional Kenworth bug.
· Under the hood is a Cummins X15 engine, specially painted in beige to commemorate Cummins’ heritage.